CRCAO member - Japan Team
Emeritus professor, École française d'Extrême-Orient
My researches are basically organized and focused on fundamental inquiries concerning Buddhist doctrines with a study on China-Japan cultural and linguistic transfers. From this, I develop applications of researches in specific fields, poetry, tea art, musics, iconology in which Buddhist mental schemes are active and give a privileged access though it is not a unilateral one as to understands these cultural phenomena. I intend to publish manuscripts on these topics.
My researches on Christianity in Japan concerns the introduction of philosophical ideas and religious reactions on the Japanese side including imitations and exclusions.
- Ancient and Medieval Buddhism, literary, iconological and doctrinal sources
- Patriarch-type and cultural-type figures personalities (Dōgen, Myōe, Shōtoku, Kūkai, Shinran, Suzuki Shōsan, Bankei, etc.)
- China-Japan transfers
- 16th-17th Christianity, cathecisms and acculturation. Predro Gomez’s Compendium in Japanese translation and interactions with Japanese religions
- Philosophical conceptions in premodern an modern times
- Poetry an poetical treatises
- Nō theater trough treatises
- Chanoyu through treatises