I am a PhD student in archeology at the École Pratique des Hautes Études (EPHE, PSL Research University). Since 2015, I have been conducting research on ceramic productions in Ladakh. This research aims to discover new chronologies for the region and understand the material and cultural interactions that Ladakh has had with its neighbors in Central Asia, Tibet, and India over different periods.
Since 2011, I have taken part in several archaeological missions for excavations or study of the ceramics in Afghanistan (site of Mes Aynak), in Uzbekistan (sites of Termez and Romitan), in Turkmenistan (site of Ulug Dépé), in Nepal (region of Mustang) and in India (Spiti Valley). I also collaborate in the studies of ceramics and excavations of the Franco-Indian Archaeological Mission in Ladakh on the Leh Choskhor site.
During my PhD, I was involved in various research and professional projects: research assistant at the French Archaeological Delegation in Afghanistan (DAFA); research assistant for the Franco-Turkmen Archaeological Mission in Turkmenistan (MAFTur) and currently, I work as excavation supervisor for Eveha International.
- Typological and techno -stylistics studies of Ladakh ceramics
- Comparative study of ceramic production between Ladakh, India, Central Asia and Tibet
- Spatial analysis of ceramic productions
- Diachronic and synchronic analysis of ceramics
- Ethnography of potters in Likir (Ladakh)
- Archaeology of Central Asia
CRCAO research programmes
Publications (HAL Archive Ouverte)
Articles in a journal
- Samara Broglia de Moura. Preliminary field notes on the ancient ceramics of Ladakh. Études mongoles et sibériennes, centrasiatiques et tibétaines, Centre d'Etudes Mongoles & Sibériennes / École Pratique des Hautes Études, 2020. ⟨hal-03054201⟩
Papers in a congress
- Samara Broglia de Moura, Marion Poux. Archaeology of Tibet and the Himalayas: current research and further perspectives (Panel). 16th Seminar of the International Association for Tibetan Studies, Jul 2022, Prague, Czech Republic. ⟨hal-03373012⟩
- Samara Broglia de Moura. Les interactions matérielles et culturelles entre le Ladakh et l'Asie centrale du 3e av. au 8e siècle d.n.è : les nouvelles données céramiques de la vallée de Dras, Ladakh.. Séminaire de la Société Européenne pour l'Étude des Civilisations de l'Himalaya et de l'Asie Centrale (SEECHAC), Feb 2021, Paris, France. ⟨hal-03180322⟩
- Jonathan Ethier, Samara Broglia de Moura. Session 379 - The Interaction between Nomadism and Sedentism An Approach through Religious Practices and Beliefs. 27th Annual Meeting of the European Association of Archaeologists (EAA 2021), Sep 2021, Kiel, Germany. ⟨hal-03180329⟩
- Samara Broglia de Moura. Transformation of the ceramic production in Ladakh from Protohistory onward: a technological and typological approach. Crafts and craft traditions in Tibetan architecture at the Institute for Social Anthropology of the Austrian Academy of Sciences, Jun 2021, Vienne, Austria. ⟨hal-03262228⟩
- Samara Broglia de Moura. Ceramic production in Ladakh before the conquest of the Tibetan Empire. 15th Seminar of the International Association for Tibetan Studies (IATS), Jul 2019, Paris, France. ⟨hal-03083638⟩
- Samara Broglia de Moura. New Research on the Ancient Ceramics from Ladakh (Northern India). 11th Seminar of the International Convention of Asian Scholar (ICAS), Jul 2019, Leiden, Netherlands. ⟨hal-03083637⟩
- Bendezu-Sarmiento Julio, Nicolas Engel, Samara Broglia de Moura. Mes Aynak (Afghanistan), Following up with the analysis of the archaeological data from the excavations. 24th International Conference of the European Association for South Asian Archaeology and Art (EASAA), Jul 2018, Naples, Italy. ⟨halshs-02431370⟩
- Samara Broglia de Moura. New Researches on the Painted Pottery of Ladakh. 18th Colloquium of the International Association for Ladakh Studies, May 2017, Bedlewo, Poland. ⟨hal-03083639⟩
- Laurianne Bruneau, Chamsia Sadozaï, Samara Broglia de Moura, Martin Vernier, Nithya Rajendran. Mission Archéologique Franco-Indienne au Ladakh – Activity report 2018. [Research Report] Ministère de l'Europe et des Affaires étrangères, Direction de la culture, de l'enseignement, de la recherche et du réseau, Sous-direction de l'enseignement supérieur et de la recherche, Pôle sciences humaines et sociales, archéologie et patrimoine, Commission consultative des recherches archéologiques à l'étranger. 2019. ⟨halshs-03039625⟩